Wednesday, 4 December 2013

Christmas Cracker: Stormtrooper time


I bought one of the wave 2 Black Series 3 3/4inch Stormtroopers along with the 2013 Saga Legends Stormtroopers. Why you ask? because the Saga Legends 5points of Articulation figure's head sculpt nails the Stormtrooper helmet in proportions. Now as an articulation junkie I had to use this head on the better body. Low and behold this work in progress.


 




 The Helmet just looks so right. Now you have to do a ton of drilling on the replacement head then make your own ball socket to fit whatever you're going use for a neck joint. I opted for using the single carded MU Cyclops neck.

He can look side to side, up and down, all the goodness you need. The body of the figure is a reuse of the Vintage collection Sandtrooper, so he has those saddle riding hips and a tab slot in the back for the Sandtrooper pack. I filled that in, but those hips man... terrible. They make the tops of the thigh armour rotate outwards when raising the leg up and reduce the knee articulation. Something drastic will have to be done about this by me.




Seriously Hasbo, just tool up that new head to fit your standard Trooper body. Also clean your paint apps up, they're atrocious

5 comments:

  1. Hasbro and Mattel seem to be dropping QC on thee figures as of late which is not cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have to finish this trooper, I almost didn't buy the Black series figure due to how bad the black paint was on the figure as is, that dastardly Saga Legends figure was above him and that helmet hypnotized me.

      Delete
  2. Hello There,
    Fantastic comparison. I was looking for good quality figurine, well articulated with correct uniform and.. helmet above all... Now I can see what not to buy, but, there is a problem finding these figurines. Could you, please, write serial number of both figurines you used? I would be very grateful!
    With Regards,
    Moskit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can link you to galleries of both figures I used:

      http://www.rebelscum.com/Hasbro-Star-Wars/saga-legends-2013/Figures/SL11-Stormtrooper.asp His head.

      http://www.rebelscum.com/Hasbro-Star-Wars/The-Black-Series/Figures/13-Stormtrooper/photo-archive.asp His body.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic! Thank you very much! I heard these figurines are really expensive as for Hasbro and cost 60USD each? Thank you. Great review, but you could add photos of boxes it would help much. Thanks!
    Regards,
    Moskit

    ReplyDelete